There’s no shortage of meaningful ways to spend Mother’s Day with your beloved mom. From active, outdoorsy outings to fun, artsy activities, you can create the perfect plans for a memorable day. Following are some great ideas for honoring this special woman on a day dedicated just to her. Plan ahead to help you make the most of the holiday, and also remember to remain flexible to ensure the day goes smoothly.
Check the Weather and Have a Plan B
Make sure you do a little meteorological homework when making Mother’s Day plans. This is especially true if your day involves outdoor activities. Make sure the forecast projects optimal conditions for fun in the sun with mom. Weather is unpredictable so it’s important to always have a plan B. Have a backup, covered location for your picnic or cookout. If you’re planning a park excursion, have an exciting indoor locale on the back burner. This ensures you can pivot at a moment’s notice if unexpected weather pops up.
Decide Who to Invite
Deciding who to invite to your Mother’s Day gathering is a personal decision. Including any siblings avoids your mom being pulled in multiple directions for the holiday. You can also consider inviting grandmothers and aunts who should also be honored on Mother’s Day. Who you invite depends entirely on if you’re looking for some quality one-on-one time with your mom, or open to planning a “the more the merrier” occasion.
Think About What Your Mom Loves
The most important factor in deciding what to do is thinking about what your mom loves doing. If she likes a slow-paced vibe, plan a day for her to relax and recharge. If she’s the adventurous type, an active outing or exciting destination will make it a memorable Mother’s Day.
Don’t Let Mom Do Any Work
One of the cardinal rules of Mother’s Day is that Mom shouldn’t lift a finger. Planning, setting up, and cleaning up should be off her plate, as this is her day to relax and celebrate being a mom.
Fun Things to Do on Mother’s Day
There are a ton of fun and unique ways to celebrate Mom’s special day and make it perfectly-geared towards her beautiful personality.
Cook a Meal Together
What better way to enjoy dinner together than by creating it yourself? Grab a new cookbook and purchase all of the ingredients ahead of time to cook a delectable meal together. This is also a great chance to learn your favorite childhood recipes from the one that knows them best!
Novices in the kitchen? Check out a cooking class together. There are likely ones in your area meant for every skill level. You’ll make fun memories as you learn new kitchen skills together.
Start a Family Garden
Starting a family garden is an awesome Mother’s Day activity for families with kids of all ages. Get your hands dirty and pick all of your favorite seeds to sow. Over the next few weeks, watch your family seedlings sprout and get excited about summer’s harvest.
Volunteering with your family can bring your closer and even give you a mood boost. Look for opportunities everywhere from animal shelters to Habitat for Humanity. Giving back is the perfect way to show Mom that she raised you right!
Mother’s Day Photo Shoot
A fun photoshoot is an awesome way to commemorate Mother’s Day. Hire a professional photographer to capture your mother and her adoring loved ones. Or, relive Mom’s favorite family photos from your childhood by recreating them in similar outfits for a blast from the past.
Since you have all those old photos out to recreate, send them off to iMemories for digitizing so you and Mom can enjoy them at any time from any device. Share them on the cloud with other family members and reminisce together, no matter how far apart you are.
Outdoor Mother’s Day Activities
Why not celebrate both Mother Nature and your own mother? These fun activities allow you to enjoy the great outdoors with mom on her special day.
- Go Boating – Rent a pontoon boat for a relaxing day or a speed boat for an exhilarating ride. You can also pick up a pair of kayaks and enjoy the fresh air as you paddle downstream.
- Go on a Hike or Bike Ride – Hit the path or trail for hiking or biking with your active mom. Many areas have routes for any skill level so you can find something doable for everyone participating. You can also take a day trip to a new location to explore by bike or on foot.
- Grab a Meal at Mom’s Favorite Outdoor Restaurant – Head to mom’s favorite al fresco dining spot for a delicious meal. Make reservations well ahead of time because most patios fill up quickly on Mother’s Day.
- Have a Picnic – Make your mom’s favorite sandwiches and head out on a good, old-fashioned picnic. If dining on a blanket isn’t ideal for your mother, look for a park with picnic tables and beautiful views.
- Go Camping – A camping adventure is a great bonding activity to plan with your mom. Plus, you can create an excursion within everyone’s comfort zone. Rent an RV or a small cabin if your mom isn’t into roughing it. Or, if you are super adventurous, pitch a few tents and sleep under the stars.
Things to Do on a Rainy Mother’s Day
Don’t let a rainy day ruin your festivities. These fun ideas allow you to treat mom, no matter what the weather has planned.
- Head to a Museum – Spend the day at a museum for a fun way to explore culture and get your creative juices flowing. Look for a museum that fits your mom’s interests and personality. You could go for a classic art museum, or you may choose to check out a science or history museum instead.
- Do Some Guided Arts and Crafts – If mom has a creative side, she will love doing some guided arts and crafts on her special day. Visit a local workshop to take a sign painting or blanket knitting class. You can also gather the materials, use an online video tutorial, and create your masterpieces at home.
- Family Yoga or Gym Class – Getting active together is great for family bonding. Sign up to participate in Mom’s favorite gym or yoga class. You’ll get to experience her interest and have fun together getting fit!
- Head to a Movie or a Play – Treat your mom to movie or play tickets for a relaxing Mother’s Day activity. Look for new movie releases that she would be interested in or for theaters replaying her favorite classics. Plays and musicals often sell out quickly on Mother’s Day weekend. So, if there is a must-see show coming to town, scoop up tickets early.
- Traditional Mother’s Day Brunch – Serve up a delicious Mother’s Day brunch or breakfast in bed to start the holiday off right! Homemade quiche, fresh fruit, and bacon or sausage make the perfect menu. Toast mom with freshly squeezed orange juice or a bubbly mimosa.
- Pamper Mom at Home – Your mom might just want to relax at home on Mother’s Day. Pick up supplies for DIY facials or an at-home manicure kit and bring the spa to her! A basic of luxurious treats like bath bombs, lotions, and a new robe makes the perfect gift.
- Go to a Spa – A spa day offers the ultimate retreat and the chance for mom to relax uninterrupted. Book pedicures for two or mother-daughter facials for a fun bonding experience. Check your local spas for Mother’s Day specials featuring packages and services tailored to the holiday.
Mother’s Day offers a wonderful chance to show mom how much you appreciate her. It’s also a great time to bond, enjoy each other’s company, and create memories that will last a lifetime.