Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and there’s another special woman in your life who should be honored right alongside your mother. Grandma is the matriarch of the family, and likely took on the expected role of a grandma through the years – spoiling you with treats, attending every sporting event and bragging about you to any friend who would listen. It’s important to recognize her on this special day, and shower her with appreciation and gratitude for the role she plays in your life.
Gifts to Avoid
Grandmothers adore gifts from the heart. While she proudly sported the “World’s Greatest Grandma” t-shirt you got her when you were 6 years old, and still drinks her morning coffee in the “#1 Grandma” mug you gifted her at the age of 8, what brings the biggest smile to her face these days are sentimental gifts. Following are some gifts best avoided, because you know deep down she already has more than enough:
- “#1 Grandma” clothing, mugs, aprons and more
- Charms, bracelets and necklaces
- Cookbooks and baking accessories
- Card games
- Plants or gardening accessories
Meaningful Gifts for Grandma
Today, we’re blessed with creative gift options that Grandma will adore – including many that celebrate her legacy and the family she’s built. Consider any of these ideas, and watch Grandma’s face light up this Mother’s Day.
- Letters to My Grandchild Book – A “paper time capsule”, this gift gives Grandma the opportunity to share her hopes and dreams for your future in 12 heartfelt letters. She can spend time carefully-crafting each letter, presenting it back to you on a future special occasion and creating a priceless heirloom for you and your future generations.
- Family Tree – Grandmas love nothing more than visual reminders of the wonderful family they’ve built, and how it sprouted more generations as the years have gone by. Take the time to research and create her family tree, and present it in a beautiful format that she can display.
- Audible Subscription – Your Grandma is enjoying her well-earned retirement years, and filling her days with hobbies that bring her happiness and peace. If one of them is reading or listening to audio books, consider an Audible subscription so she can enjoy endless stories.
- Family Cookbook – A gift that Grandma will cherish is a collection of the delicious family-favorites that everyone looks forward to eating at family gatherings. Collect each family member’s famous recipe, along with a fun photo, and create a family cookbook that can be expertly printed and presented to Grandma on Mother’s Day.
- Digitize Family Memories & Host a Family Viewing Night – The ultimate gift idea for Grandma this Mother’s Day is to secretly digitize all those old family videos and photos hiding away in her closets and attic, and present them at a fun family viewing night. Companies like iMemories exist to make the process ultra-easy for you, taking all those old photo prints, VHS tapes and film reels, and expertly digitizing them for viewing on any device. The family will shed tears of pride and laughter watching the old memories, and Grandma will have something to watch over and over again. And the best part – all her old analog memories that were at risk of degrading over time will now be safely preserved for generations to come.
As you ponder a meaningful gift for Grandma this Mother’s Day, remember that the sentimental route is bound to bring the biggest, most genuine smile to her face. She adores you and her family far more than anything mass-produced with “#1 Grandma”.